Sunday, February 7, 2010

Juke Box Jury – Trial #1 My Little Red Book


I can’t write my Dadaist little manifestos all the time. Some nights I just have to play music snob and break out the vinyl.

So, let’s get interactive on the comment boards and play a little Juke Box Nuremberg as my old pal, Ed Newman would say. (See I always credit a good gag even long after the statue of limitations has expired.)

Here are a few different versions of Burt Bacharach’s oft-covered classic, My Little Red Book. Which is your favorite on this Mao-infused number?

We start with Arthur Lee and Love, the influential LA psychedelic band.



Now, A Brit take by Manfred Mann. As seen in the flick, What's New Pussycat.



And Elvis Costello dueting with Burt himself. Finally, a video that works.


Toni Basil tried it on for size in the 80s.



A truly horny version with Tony Middelton and Burt's Orchestra.



So, Jury, please deliberate!

No comments:

Post a Comment